You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Sister of Marathon bombing victim released from hospital

Jane Richard, the younger sister of Boston Marathon bombing victim Martin Richard, has been released from Boston Children’s Hospital, the Richard family said this afternoon.

“While we remain devastated over Martin’s death and all that has happened to us, Jane’s determination for getting better is an inspiring source of strength for the entire family,” the family said in a statement.

Continue reading below

The 7-year-old girl had spent 39 days in the intensive care unit. She underwent 12 surgeries. The family said the little girl, whose left leg was severed below the knee in the bomb attack, is “in good spirits and looking forward to beginning the next phase of her recovery.”

She has been transferred to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, where will undergo rehabilitation to “regain her strength, balance and stamina. Jane and her body will ultimately dictate the timeline for her stay at Spaulding,” the family said.

Martin Richard, 8, died in the April 15 blast. The children’s mother, Denise, received a shrapnel injury to her eye. The father, Bill, is recovering from shrapnel wounds to his legs and significant damage to his hearing, the Globe reported earlier this month. The couple’s other son, Henry, was uninjured.

The family also announced that a Mass would be offered in Martin Richard’s memory on June 9, which would have been his 9th birthday. It will be the 10:30 a.m. “Family Mass” at Saint Ann Church in Dorchester, the family said.

Martin Richard was recalled by classmates as someone who told a mean knock-knock joke, ­always won at math games, and stuck up for friends at school, the Globe reported in late April. A photo of the innocent victim holding a sign, saying, “No more hurting people — Peace,” decorated with hearts and a peace sign became an international symbol of the horror of the attacks.

The boy was among three people killed in the two blasts near the Marathon finish line on the afternoon of April 15. More than 260 people were injured in the attacks that shocked the nation.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, who died several days later after a confrontation with police, was suspected, along with his brother, Dzhokhar, 19, of planting the bombs. Dzhokhar is facing federal charges that could bring him the death penalty. His next court date is a July 10 probable cause hearing.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week