Mayor Thomas M. Menino’s prostate surgery “went very well,’’ his surgeon said in a statement on Friday.
Menino underwent the elective procedure for an enlarged prostate at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston on Friday. Once he is released from the hospital after several days, Menino expects to stay at the city-owned Parkman House while he is recovering.
In a statement, Dr. Kevin R. Loughlin said he was “pleased with the outcome of the surgery.’’
“This morning the mayor underwent a simple open prostatectomy, an elective surgery to relieve symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate which is a common ailment for men of his age. The procedure, which went very well, lasted approximately two hours, and the mayor is now in recovery resting comfortably,’’ Loughlin said in the statement.
He added that Menino “will remain at the Brigham for at least the next few days while we monitor his recovery and progress. We are pleased with the outcome of the surgery, and he is expected to make a complete recovery.’’
The surgery is the latest in a series of health issues to confront the 70-year-old Menino, who announced in March that he would not seek reelection after serving as mayor for 20 years.
He is still recovering from a broken bone in his leg and has undergone surgery for a fracture in his lower fibula in April and continues to go regularly to physical therapy.
Last year, he cut short a trip to Italy in October after falling ill. First diagnosed with a severe respiratory infection, while hospitalized, he sustained a compression fracture in a spinal vertebra. He was later diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
After five weeks at the Brigham, he stayed at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital for three weeks, until just before Christmas.Andrew Ryan can be reached at email@example.com Follow him on Twitter @globeandrewryan.