BROCKTON — A fire inside a storage area for landscaping equipment at the US Postal Service processing facility here sent thick black smoke skyward on Thursday, triggering a three-alarm response by the Fire Department.
Postal employees said the fire sent smoke into the complex and led to the evacuation of the building on Liberty Street, a short distance from Route 24.
Brockton Deputy Fire Chief Timothy Murphy said postal employees were attempting to start a lawn mower when the machine caught fire. The employees ran inside to get a fire extinguisher, but by the time they returned, the fire had spread to other equipment that was full of gasoline, he said.
Firefighters responded around 7:50 a.m. and had the blaze under control by 8:30 a.m., Murphy said.
One firefighter was injured when a piece of flying metal hit him in the face. The injury was minor, and the firefighter was treated on the scene, Murphy said.
Murphy estimated the damage to the building to be around $200,000.
One wall of the building was extensively damaged, he said.
US Postal Service spokeswoman Melissa Johns said there will be no disruption of mail delivery.
Globe correspondent George Rizer contributed to this report. Todd Feathers can be reached at todd.feathers@
globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @ToddFeathers. John R. Ellement can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.