Donations tothe One Fund Boston have topped $51 million, as fund administrators review nearly 250 compensation claims for victims of April’s Boston Marathon bombings.
Fund officials said Monday that they had received 247 claims after a flurry of applications were submitted by the June 15 deadline.
Payments from the fund will be distributed July 1, and all donations received before June 27 will support survivors and the families of those killed in the attacks.
Fund officials expect to receive additional claims over the next couple of days, but said they are confident all eligible victims have applied.
“I think we can rest assured at the end of the day we’ll have claims from all the injured,” said Camille Biros, deputy administrator for the fund.
The fund will remain active after initial payments are made; no deadline has been set for accepting donations.
The fund was established by Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Governor Deval Patrick the day after the bombings as the primary relief fund for victims. With a mix of corporate and personal donations, the fund has surpassed even the rosiest projections.
“It’s beyond our imagination,” Biros said.
At the end of May, just 20 claims had been filed, raising concern that the deadline was too soon and leading the Massachusetts Bar Association to call for an extension. But in the final week before the deadline, a flurry of claims was submitted.
Fund officials and volunteer lawyers had been in touch with many victims to help them with the process.
Fund administrator Kenneth Feinberg, who oversaw compensation funds after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the Virginia Tech shootings, said most claims are typically filed in the days leading up to the deadline.
From the outset, fund organizers had hoped to distribute payments quickly to help offset medical bills and other pressing financial needs. A few claims have been denied because they cite post-traumatic stress disorder as an injury, which the fund does not cover, Biros said.
Three people were killed in the bombings, and an MIT police officer was killed, allegedly by the bombing suspects, later that week. An estimated 260 people were injured in the bombings.
Families of those killed, victims who lost multiple limbs, and victims with permanent brain damage will get the largest payments, which will probably be well over $1 million.