Boston police Commissioner Edward F. Davis said Sunday that the fatal shootings of three people in Dorchester on Saturday morning were likely not random.
“At this point in the investigation it appears this was not a random shooting,” Davis said in a statement. “We are getting good-quality tips and are following up on leads. However, we are still asking for the public’s help to identify the red [or] maroon Mercury seen leaving the shooting.”
Police Superintendent Kevin Buckley said Saturday that investigators are seeking a Hispanic man who fled in an older Mercury after the shooting that killed two men and one woman, all in their early 20s, at a party in an apartment at 153 Intervale St.
Buckley said the victims were not known to police and did not live at the address.
The victims have been tentatively identified, but their names were not released pending family notification, said Jake Wark, a spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley. No arrests had been made as of Sunday evening, Wark said.
The woman had 3-year-old twin daughters, according to a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation.
A police spokeswoman declined to comment on whether eyewitnesses were cooperating with investigators.
Boston has had almost the same number of homicides this year as last. As of Sunday evening, there had been 23 homicides in Boston since Jan. 1, police said, compared with 22 from Jan. 1 to June 24 last year.
The Intervale Street killings come on the heels of a meeting Thursday among Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino, Davis, and the police command staff, where officers briefed the mayor on crime trends and the department’s plan for addressing the recent warm-weather upsurge in city violence, Menino’s spokeswoman said.
“The mayor has been very concerned about the number of shootings and the violence that’s been happening in our city,” said Dot Joyce, Menino’s spokeswoman.
“He was encouraged that they continue to focus on those individuals seeking to do harm in our neighborhoods, including impact players, hot spot areas, and following up on other information that could help prevent crime,” Joyce said.
Joyce said the Boston Public Health Commission and Boston Centers for Youth and Families would conduct a door-knock next Saturday to help connect children and teens with summer camps and summer job programs at the Warren Gardens Housing Co-op in Roxbury, followed by a community barbecue.
City workers conducted an earlier outreach campaign in three Roxbury housing developments on the first weekend of this month.
Joyce said the city is working to provide a series of safe and family-friendly summer events, as well as summer jobs and camp placements for young people. She said the city would offer more than 10,000 summer jobs for teens this year, a record number.
“It’s absolutely critical that we remain focused and do more to get out into the neighborhoods with positive activities, and continue to support and help our residents in coming forward with any information they may have,” Joyce said.
On Sunday morning, a man who identified himself as the owner of 153 Intervale, but who would not give his name, was cleaning the building’s front stoop. He turned away a young man and woman who came to leave a candle inside the apartment building. The pair left quickly.
A neighbor, who also declined to give his name, said he was “very concerned” about the violence.
“Back in the ’90s, things used to happen around here, but it’s been pretty quiet,” he said.
Across Intervale, in Ceylon Park, families gathered Sunday afternoon to barbecue and watch a soccer game between the amateur men’s teams Terra Terra and Praia Capital. Small children frolicked and splashed in the park’s spray fountain, and men played foosball on a portable table.
Yolanda Rodrigues, an immigrant from Cape Verde like many others in the crowd, said she lives in another section of Dorchester but comes to this park every weekend for soccer games and to enjoy time with family.
“No trouble here,” said Rodrigues, 51. “No problems, no fighting, nothing.”
Boston saw its last triple homicide on Aug. 12, 2012, when three 22-year-old women were killed and another woman was wounded as they sat in a parked car on Harlem Street in Dorchester.
That case remains open, and no arrests have been made, Wark said.