You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Insurance dispute threatens planned Gillette Stadium events

Upcoming events, from Bon Jovi to pro soccer, could be in jeopardy if lawyers for The Kraft Group and Foxborough officials fail to strike a deal.

David Kamerman/Globe Staff, file

Upcoming events, from Bon Jovi to pro soccer, could be in jeopardy if lawyers for The Kraft Group and Foxborough officials fail to strike a deal.

Upcoming Gillette Stadium events, from Bon Jovi to pro soccer, could be in jeopardy if lawyers for The Kraft Group and Foxborough officials fail to strike a deal by July 5 over who should pay liability insurance at the popular venue.

A tense two-hour meeting Thursday night ended in frustration, with both groups agreeing to meet one more time to figure out a solution.

Continue reading below

“This is turning into a rodeo,” said Mark Sullivan, chairman of the Board of Selectmen.

The controversy springs from a lawsuit filed against the town last year by ticketholders who said they were wrongly detained by police on alcohol issues at a Bruce Springsteen concert and the New England Country Music Festival.

That suit drew attention to a change in the town’s insurance policy over such lawsuits. Foxborough used to pay a $7,500 deductible for every injured party in a potential claim, according to the insurance policy, but the amount has now been raised to $50,000 a person. Sullivan and other officials said the town cannot be put in such a vulnerable financial and legal position.

A pact is needed for upcoming shows, including the Bon Jovi concert on July 20 at the popular Route 1 venue, along with those headed to hear Taylor Swift on July 26 and 27 and country music start Kenny Chesney on Aug. 23 and 24.

Town officials issued conditional licenses for the events in January but warned the Krafts they had just 30 days to comply with a request for insurance indemnification for the events for the permits to become official. But 30 days came and went, and the time frame was repeatedly extended until the most recent deadline was set.

James Cobery, general counsel for the Krafts, said the situation reached a crisis because the outgoing town manager, Kevin Paicos, was supposed to send a letter of authorization six weeks ago that would allow the organization to research policies on the town’s behalf. “But he never did,” Cobery said.” I received the letter yesterday.”

Several selectmen, including Lorraine Brue, told Cobery it was not fair to throw Paicos “under the bus” when he was not present to explain.

Paicos has not returned to work following a military leave last month.

Agreement seemed close at times Thursday, and officials talked about extending the time frame to work something out through July if Kraft would cover a portion of the $50,000 deductible for the July 6 New England Revolution game, which is the month’s first event, but his lawyers said no.

Lawyers said the town could pull its police from the game and let Kraft’s security handle it, but selectmen said no.

After conferring, town counsel Dick Gelerman told selectmen that the Krafts might give the town the $50,000 deductible as a gift but that he needs more time to work it out.

Michele Bolton can be reached at michelebolton@alive.com.
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.