ATTLEBORO — Ernest Wallace, facing charges related to the death of a Dorchester man whose killing has been linked to a former New England Patriots star, pleaded not guilty Monday to being an accessory after the fact of murder.
During the highly anticipated arraignment, Bristol prosecutors asked that paperwork involving Wallace be impounded, a request prosecutors have also made for court papers detailing former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez’s alleged role in the killing of Odin L. Lloyd.
The judge ordered that Wallace be held without bail and that documents pertaining to him be impounded.
Lloyd’s aunt, on her way to a vehicle parked in front of the courthouse, declined to comment, saying only, “We’ll wait until this is all over.”
Hernandez, 23, has pleaded not guilty to murder and firearms charges and is being held without bail in Bristol County Jail.
Lloyd, 27, was an acquaintance of Hernandez, who authorities allege “orchestrated’’ the murder of the Dorchester man June 17 in North Attleborough.
Flanked by his defense attorney, David Meier, Wallace was silent during the brief hearing, but as he left the courtroom was seen mouthing “I love you” to someone sitting in the public area of the courtroom.
Meier did not speak during the two-minute hearing.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for Bristol District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter said that a judge has lifted the impoundment order on search warrants that gave authorities the right to scour Hernandez’s North Attleborough home last month.
But the judge froze his order until 2 p.m. Tuesday, giving prosecutors time to appeal. Sutter hinted Monday that he will not appeal.
“We opposed the release of those, and now the judge has released them, we accept it,” he said during a brief press conference after the arraignment.
Wallace, 41, surrendered to police in Miramar, Fla., where he had gone to visit relatives. Wallace faces up to seven years in prison if convicted on the charge of accessory after the fact of murder.
Wallace is one of three men who Sutter has said were in the car with Lloyd on June 17, hours before Lloyd was shot and killed in an industrial park in North Attleborough about a mile from Hernandez’s house.
The third man authorities allege was in the car — Carlos Ortiz, 27, of Connecticut — has pleaded not guilty to charges of unlawful carrying of a firearm June 17, the date of Lloyd’s murder. Ortiz is allegedly seen on security cameras walking into Hernandez’s home armed with a handgun.
Ortiz was arraigned June 28 on a weapons charge and was ordered held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing on July 9.
Wallace is scheduled to be back in court July 22 for a status hearing.
Hernandez has a July 24 probable cause hearing.
Hernandez is also being investigated in the July 2012 slayings of Daniel Abreu and Safiro Furtado in Boston’s South End.Brian Ballou can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at @globeballou. John R. Ellement can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.
Correction: Because of a reporting error, an earlier version of this story incorrectly described a meeting with Lloyd’s family. Defense attorney David Meier never met with Lloyd’s family.