You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.


Two-alarm fire caused by torch displaces six families

Continue reading below

A plumber working on basement pipes in a Kingston apartment building on Second Brook Street accidentally set the residence ablaze with the torch he was using, starting a fire that spread to the floors and walls, ultimately displacing six families, fire officials said. The two-alarm blaze started just after 3 p.m. Sunday, and required the assistance of nearly a half-dozen surrounding communities, said Kingston Fire Captain Stephen Heath. The fire began on the basement walls and traveled up to the first floor, where it burned between two apartments, causing about $100,000 in damage, Heath said. No one was injured. American Red Cross representatives said their organization was helping the displaced families find temporary housing.

Loading comments...
Want each day's news headlines delivered fresh to your
inbox every morning? Just connect with us
in one of the following ways:
Please enter a valid email will never post anything without asking.
Privacy Policy
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of
Marketing image of