Metro

ROCKLAND, Maine

Two Maine fishermen overcome by rotting fish

Advertisement

Fire officials in Maine say rotting fish aboard their vessel created a noxious gas that sent two fishermen to the hospital Friday. Assistant Fire Chief Adam Miceli said one of the fishermen was rendered unconscious and had to be taken by helicopter to Maine Medical Center. The other was being treated at Pen Bay Hospital. Miceli said hydrogen sulfide, a poisonous gas, built up in a holding tank after the 89-foot Starlight offloaded herring. Miceli said the first fisherman lost consciousness, and the second was sickened trying to assist him. He said a third fisherman saw what was happening and used a breathing apparatus to help rescue the other two. No identities have been released.

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
You're reading  1 of 5 free articles.
Get UNLIMITED access for only 99¢ per week Subscribe Now >
You're reading1 of 5 free articles.Keep scrolling to see more articles recomended for you Subscribe now
We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com