Key moments in Old South Meeting House’s history
1729 The Old South Meeting House is built to replace a wooden Puritan meetinghouse that dated to 1669. Members of the congregation would soon include Samuel Adams and Benjamin Franklin.
1773 A meeting of colonists debating taxation leads to a raid on British ships docked at Griffin’s Wharf in what would become known as the Boston Tea Party.
1775 British troops gut the interior, bring in dirt and gravel, and transform the building into a riding school.
1783 After extensive repairs, the building is restored as a place of worship.
1876 Bostonians fight to preserve the building from destruction.
1877 The Old South Association opens the building to the public as a museum.
SOURCE: Old South Association