Metro

Police say evidence doesn’t support taxi sex assault claim

Boston police said they no longer believe a woman who asserted on Aug. 18 that she was sexually assaulted in Allston by a man driving a dark sedan, one of two attacks that raised concerns about people getting rides from unlicensed taxis or livery cars.

In a brief statement posted on the Boston police website Wednesday, police said the sexual assault investigation is now closed.

“Evidence, witness interviews, and statements led detectives to believe the facts of the case did not support the allegation as reported,’’ the statement said.

Advertisement

Police had previously said the woman told them she tried to hail a taxi near the intersection of Linden and Pratt streets around 2 a.m. on Aug. 18. A man driving a dark, four-door mid-size sedan stopped and offered to drive her to Cambridge, police said.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The woman told officers she was taken to an area she believed was near Harvard University’s campus along North Harvard Street in Allston, where the driver sexually assaulted her.

The Allston incident was the second police had connected to unlicensed vehicles for hire. The first took place Aug. 6, when a woman in the Seaport District signaled for a taxi near Seaport Boulevard and Northern Avenue and was picked up by a black Lincoln, officials have said.

The woman told police she was driven to a secluded area on state property in front of the Daly Memorial Ice Skating Rink off Nonantum Road, near the Brighton-Newton line, where she was sexually assaulted.

Police continue to search for the suspect in that case.

John R. Ellement can be reached at ellement@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.