Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Mass. lawyer releases new list of alleged abusers

Six Roman Catholic clerics and a choir director were named publicly as alleged abusers for the first time by a prominent lawyer for clergy sex abuse victims.

Attorney Mitchell Garabedian released the names of the five priests, one nun, and the choir director on Wednesday.

Continue reading below

Each of the alleged victims is a client of Garabedian’s and all their cases were settled within the last year for amounts ranging from the high five figures to the low six figures, he said.

Garabedian periodically releases new names publicly, and is highly critical of Roman Catholic Church officials for what he says is their refusal to consistently do so.

He said the public disclosures are needed to help victims heal and also as a matter of public safety, if the alleged abuser is still alive.

Garabedian said it is also a reminder that, despite decreased media coverage, the clergy sex abuse crisis is ongoing.

‘‘I don’t expect it to ever end,’’ Garabedian said.

The crisis broke nationally in 2002 after The Boston Globe wrote a series of stories revealing that church officials in the city shifted pedophile priests between parishes without disclosing their alleged crimes.

At least four of the seven previously unnamed people on Garabedian’s list are deceased. All four worked in the Boston Archdiocese during the alleged abuse, which occurred between 1963 and 1985.

The Rev. Alan Caparella, a Franciscan, worked at St. Leonard’s of Port Maurice Parish in Boston. Brother Paul White, a Capuchin, worked at St. Lawrence Friary in Milton. The Rev. Joseph Maffei, of the Salesians of Don Bosco, worked at Sacred Heart Retreat House in Ipswich. W. Emmitt O’Brien was the children’s choir director at St. John Chrysostom Church in West Roxbury.

Terry Donilon, a spokesman for the Boston Archdiocese, referred questions about the other priests to their religious orders, which he said would have handled any claims. The orders either didn’t comment or didn’t know anything about the priests.

Donilon said the archdiocese remains dedicated to restoring trust and ‘‘implementing our significant policies and practices for the protection of children.’’

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week