Notorious gangster James “Whitey” Bulger’s taxpayer-funded defense team billed the court more than $2.6 million over the past two years, and those costs will climb because they do not include lawyers’ fees and expenses from July and August while Bulger’s federal racketeering trial was underway, according to court records.
Bulger’s lawyers issued a statement Friday saying he offered to plead guilty to all charges in exchange for leniency for the girlfriend who helped him evade capture for more than 16 years, but prosecutors spurned his offer, resulting in the expensive eight-week trial in US District Court in Boston that ended with his conviction last month.
Defense lawyers J.W. Carney Jr. and Hank Brennan said Bulger agreed to plead guilty to all charges, including some he did not commit, and to serve life in prison.
“All he sought in return was mercy toward Catherine Greig, the woman who went with him to Santa Monica solely because she loved him,” the lawyers said. He wanted Greig, his loyal companion, to serve only a year in prison.
“That was not enough for the United States Attorney’s Office,” Bulger’s lawyers said. “This decision resulted in the trial, and the enormous expenditure of federal funds for the prosecution, defense, and United States Marshals.”
You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than 25¢ a week