Federal prosecutors pledged Friday to give all of James “Whitey” Bulger’s money to his victims if a judge grants their request for a $25.2 million forfeiture judgment that will allow the government to seize the gangster’s current assets and profits he might make in the future.
“The government will seek to return assets currently owned by the Defendant (Bulger), and assets of the Defendant that may be recovered in the future, to the innocent victims in this case,” Assistant US Attorney Mary B. Murrane wrote in a motion filed in US District Court in response to concerns by some of the victims’ families that the government would keep all of Bulger’s money.
“Once the Court issues its orders as to forfeiture and restitution, the United States will work with the victims and the Court to resolve issues in determining the best practice in effectuating such a distribution,” Murrane wrote.
Lawyers representing the estate of Debra Davis filed a motion last week urging US District Judge Denise J. Casper to reject prosecutors’ request for the forfeiture order, saying it would allow the government to secretly seize Bulger’s assets and keep them all. The Davises’ lawyers urged the judge to order restitution to the victims instead, and to appoint a special investigator to track and seize assets and distribute them among the families of Bulger’s victims.
But, the government said in today’s filing that it is mandatory that the court order both restitution and forfeiture. Prosecutors said they could not secretly seize additional assets from Bulger because they would require court approval and oversight.
You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than 25¢ a week