A short circuit in one of the bedrooms of a three-decker house in Dorchester caused a fire Monday morning that injured one woman and left at least five adults and a child displaced, the Boston Fire Department said.
Boston Emergency Medical Services took the injured woman to a hospital for smoke inhalation. The American Red Cross is assisting those displaced.
Firefighters responded at about 11:23 a.m. to 93 Homes Ave., where they saw fire in the rear of the building on the top floor. The one-alarm fire began in a third-floor bedroom and spread to the rear porch on that floor. The flames then spread to the roof, said Steve MacDonald, a Fire Department spokesman.
“It took about 15 minutes to get the heavy fire gone,” said MacDonald. “We spent another 30 minutes checking for hot spots.”
The third floor received the brunt of the damage, and the first two floors had extensive water damage, he said.
“There is a hole in the roof and a lot of water damage, so it will be a while until all the people are back in there,” said MacDonald.
The blaze caused about $100,000 in damage, according to the Fire Department.