You can now read 10 articles each month for free on BostonGlobe.com.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Cigarette causes Dorchester house fire

Blaze displaces 13 residents

Three firefighters suffered minor injuries battling the blaze in a Dorchester three-decker.

DINA RUDICK/GLOBE STAFF

Three firefighters suffered minor injuries battling the blaze in a Dorchester three-decker.

Careless disposal of a cigarette caused a four-alarm fire that devastated a Dorchester three-decker early Sunday morning and left 13 people homeless, according to a fire official.

The fire started on the first-floor front porch, then rose to the second- and third-floor porches of the house on Colonial Avenue.

Continue reading below

“It went up the front of the building engulfing all three porches and then spread into the house itself,” said Steve MacDonald, spokesman for the Boston Fire Department, who said a cigarette had caused the blaze.

Three firefighters who had minor injuries — related to the shoulder, knee, and ankle — extinguishing the fire were treated and released from area hospitals, Steve MacDonald said.

The fire was reported at 1:41 a.m., MacDonald said.

Two alarms were originally called, but the fire was upgraded to four alarms due to heavy fire in the front of the building.

“The whole front part of the house was on fire when we arrived on the scene,” MacDonald said. “We immediately ordered a second alarm. Because of the hard work of our firefighters, we went to four alarms. We needed to get enough manpower to extinguish it.”

Continue reading below

The fire was put out in 30 minutes, but firefighters remained on the scene extinguishing hot spots and opening up walls until about 6 a.m., MacDonald said.

Residents of the apartment building evacuated safely with the help of smoke detectors, reported the Fire Department’s Twitter account. MacDonald said the Red Cross was on the scene assisting displaced residents.

Volunteers assisted eight adults and six children with recovery funds for food, clothing, jackets, and shoes, Kat Powers, communications director for Red Cross Massachusetts, said in an e-mail.

The MBTA provided a bus to keep people warm and dry while the Red Cross assessed their immediate needs.

Emergency shelter in a hotel was being provided. A dog from the residence was being treated by a veterinarian.

The Boston Fire Department chief estimated $350,000 in damages for the affected apartments, said MacDonald.

The vinyl siding of a neighboring building melted during the blaze, creating an additional $50,000 in damages.

Anne Steele can be reached at anne.steele@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @AnneMarieSteele. Catherine Cloutier can be reached at catherine.cloutier@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @cmcloutier.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than $1 a week