Metro

Hanson fire is blamed on sawdust

The spontaneous combustion of sawdust on the rear deck of a single-family home in Hanson caused an extensive fire that displaced six people, officials said.

Firefighters were called to Pleasant Street at 2:24 a.m. Tuesday for a structure fire, according to a statement from the Hanson Fire Department. The fire ravaged the rear of the house, causing damage extending from the rear deck into the attic, firefighters said.

Advertisement

The interior of the house also sustained smoke and water damage. The total damage was estimated at $100,000.

Three adults and three children were safely evacuated. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters believe a cardboard box filled with sawdust, which was stored on the rear deck of the house, sparked the blaze.

Jasper Craven can be reached at jasper.craven@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @Jasper_Craven.
Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
You're reading  1 of 5 free articles.
Get UNLIMITED access for only 99¢ per week Subscribe Now >
You're reading1 of 5 free articles.Keep scrolling to see more articles recomended for you Subscribe now
We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com