You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Two New Bedford men charged with roles in weekend killing

Two New Bedford men who were arrested in connection with the slaying late Saturday of a 31-year-old man will be arraigned today in New Bedford District Court, prosecutors said.

Elito Mendes, 21, faces charges of carrying an illegal firearm, armed robbery, and obstruction of justice relating to witness intimidation, the Bristol district attorney’s office said. Samir Baptista, 27, has been charged with being an accessory to murder before the fact.

Continue reading below

Police responded to reports of gunshots in the area of Windsor and Crapo streets at about 11:45 p.m. Saturday. At the scene, police located Sharone Stafford, who had been injured, on Windsor Street.

Stafford was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, prosecutors said. The cause of death for Stafford has not been released pending an autopsy.

No further details were immediately available.

Jasper Craven can be reached at jasper.craven@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @Jasper_Craven

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week