You can now read 10 articles each month for free on BostonGlobe.com.

The Boston Globe

Metro

9-week-old is saved from choking incident on Christmas Day

Samantha D’Elia had just changed her 9-week-old son Brandon into his “My First Christmas” shirt on Christmas Day when she noticed he was acting unusually.

D’Elia, 21, had recently fed her baby. She picked him up, she said, and he began to choke on his own vomit.

Continue reading below

Brandon turned blue and stopped breathing. D’Elia had guests at her Marstons Mills home at the time, and her friend Melanie Campbell called 911. Barnstable police Officer Dennis Stampfl got on the line and instructed the family on how to save Brandon’s life.

D’Elia had already been giving Brandon cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Campbell relayed directions from Stampfl in a calm, collected manner, D’Elia said.

They rested Brandon on his father’s forearm, tilted his head down, and gave him sets of blows to the back.

After the second round, Brandon began to cry, finally breathing again.

“I can’t explain how much they helped me,” D’Elia said in a telephone interview.

Shortly after the ordeal, Brandon was taken to the hospital, where it was discovered he has acid reflux disease, D’Elia said. She and his father, Jonathan Brooks, will have to feed Brandon differently and keep his head propped up after he eats. But they are relieved that he is doing OK.

D’Elia said she was thankful for everyone who helped out during the emergency.

“Everybody gets credit for him being OK,” D’Elia said.

Melissa Hanson can be reached at melissa.hanson@
globe.com
or on Twitter @Melissa __Hanson

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than $1 a week