Next Score View the next score

    Police say Dorchester homicide may be gang-related

    The death of an unidentified young man in a Dorchester shooting Friday evening may be connected to gang activity, a police spokesman said Saturday.

    “The preliminary investigation indicates it may be gang-related,” said the spokesman, Officer James Kenneally.

    The man, who police said appeared to be in his 20s, was shot repeatedly at about 6:20 p.m. outside 82 Callender St. and later pronounced dead at the scene, police said in a statement.


    Blood was still visible Saturday afternoon amid multiple footprints in a patch of dirty snow next to the side porch of the three-story home.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    A Callender Street resident, who declined to give his name to a reporter, said he had not been home at the time of the shooting, but had arrived to see the body lying alongside the porch.

    The man said a nearby house is a well known trouble spot in the neighborhood and that people sometimes cut through the backyards between the structures to reach that house.

    Callender Street, lined with mostly older two- and three-family houses, is in Dorchester’s Franklin Field section, an area with a history of violence.

    On Aug. 24, two people were stabbed at about 9:30 a.m. near Blue Hill Avenue and Stratton Street, just moments before gunfire was reported less than 200 yards away, at Blue Hill and Callender. There were no reports of injuries.


    Last April, two days after the Boston Marathon, two male victims were shot near Woodrow Avenue and Lauriat Street, two blocks from Callender Street.

    In July 2010, a man was found dead of gunshot wounds on Woodrow Avenue.

    In early October 2008, two men were shot, one fatally, inside a sport utility vehicle parked near the corner of Callender and Irma streets.

    On Nov. 1, 2007, Stalex Pizza owner Mimin Manavoglu was shot in the head by a masked robber inside his shop at Woodrow Avenue and Norfolk Street. He died one day later. And on March 13, 2006, two men were shot, one fatally, at Woodrow Avenue and Willowood Street

    A man who lives a block from the crime scene, on Oakhurst Street, said several bullets hit his car during a shooting last year.

    “You never see who’s doing the shooting, but you always hear it,” said the 56-year-old man, who declined to give his name but said he had lived on Oakhurst for nearly a decade.

    “It’s happening all the time,” he said. “You never know when a bullet’s going to come through the window.”

    The man said good people live on the street and police patrol the neighborhood regularly, but the violence continues.

    Jeremy C. Fox can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @jeremycfox.