Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Firefighters battle grease fire in Copley Burger King

A fire in the kitchen of the Burger King on Boylston Street spread into the duct work of the Copley Square building before Boston firefighters put out the blaze, officials said.

According to the Boston Fire Department’s official social media, the fire was discovered around 7:27 a.m. inside the restaurant at 551 Boylston St. The roof of the four-story building across from Copley Square Park was broken open around the duct, and the fire was out by 8:15 a.m.

Continue reading below

“What happens is the grease builds up in the duct work and if it’s not cleaned properly, the hot gases from the stoves ignite the grease,” said Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald. “We first saw a tremendous amount of smoke pouring out of the roof vents, so we got access to the ducts and poured water on them to extinguish it.”

Firefighters used the building’s drop-down fire escape to get access to the restaurant’s ducts, which were located on the second floor of the building. Boylston Street was closed for about an hour as the fire was extinguished, MacDonald said.

Fire officials estimate the two-alarm fire caused $100,000 in damages.

The upper two floors were offices, and no injuries were reported, officials said.

Catalina Gaitan can be reached at catalina.gaitan@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter at @catalina_gaitan.
Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week