Metro

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I.

Dog wakes owner during fire in East Providence

Advertisement

A dog may have saved its owner’s life by waking him up during an early morning fire in East Providence, officials said. Firefighters told WPRI-TV that the 50-year-old man might not have survived if his dog, Liberty, had not started licking his face as his mattress burned. Authorities said there were no working smoke alarms in the home. Officials said the man was sleeping when his laptop computer apparently overheated and started a fire at about 4:30 a.m. Wednesday. Firefighters say the man suffered minor burns. The man’s name was not released. The dog was not hurt.

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.