You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Eighteen sickened by carbon monoxide leak in Douglas

Eighteen people, 16 of them kindergarten students, were taken to the hospital Monday morning after a carbon monoxide leak at the Douglas Municipal Center, the fire chief said.

A malfunctioning boiler caused the leak at about 9:15 a.m. at the building on Depot Street, according to Fire Chief Kent Vinson.

Continue reading below

Fire officials were alerted to the leak after the building’s facility manager smelled exhaust fumes, said Vinson.

“Luckily, he was there and alerted me right away,” said Vinson.

The building does not have carbon monoxide detectors, said Vinson.

The Municipal Center houses a primary school, Town Hall, and the police station, a fire dispatcher said. About 90 people were evacuated, including 77 kindergarten students, said Vinson. The people taken to the hospital are doing well, and were to be released Monday evening, he said.

The building is expected to reopen Tuesday and classes will resume, he said

“We’ll continue to monitor the levels throughout the night,” said Vinson. “But so far, everything looks OK.”

Jacqueline Tempera can be reached at jacqueline.tempera
. Follow her on twitter @jacktemp.
Loading comments...
Want each day's news headlines delivered fresh to your
inbox every morning? Just connect with us
in one of the following ways:
Please enter a valid email will never post anything without asking.
Privacy Policy
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of
Marketing image of