Live NH election results:
Metro

Eighteen sickened by carbon monoxide leak in Douglas

Eighteen people, 16 of them kindergarten students, were taken to the hospital Monday morning after a carbon monoxide leak at the Douglas Municipal Center, the fire chief said.

A malfunctioning boiler caused the leak at about 9:15 a.m. at the building on Depot Street, according to Fire Chief Kent Vinson.

Advertisement

Fire officials were alerted to the leak after the building’s facility manager smelled exhaust fumes, said Vinson.

“Luckily, he was there and alerted me right away,” said Vinson.

The building does not have carbon monoxide detectors, said Vinson.

The Municipal Center houses a primary school, Town Hall, and the police station, a fire dispatcher said. About 90 people were evacuated, including 77 kindergarten students, said Vinson. The people taken to the hospital are doing well, and were to be released Monday evening, he said.

The building is expected to reopen Tuesday and classes will resume, he said

Advertisement

“We’ll continue to monitor the levels throughout the night,” said Vinson. “But so far, everything looks OK.”

Jacqueline Tempera can be reached at jacqueline.tempera
@globe.com
. Follow her on twitter @jacktemp.
Loading comments...
You're reading  1 of 5 free articles.
Get UNLIMITED access for only 99¢ per week Subscribe Now >
You're reading1 of 5 free articles.Keep scrolling to see more articles recomended for you Subscribe now
We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.