Man pleads not guilty to murdering father in West Roxbury

Mark Regan, 33, was ordered held without bail today on charges that he fatally shot his father.
Dina Rudick/Globe Staff
Mark Regan, 33, was ordered held without bail today on charges that he fatally shot his father.

A 33-year-old man with a criminal record dating back at least to 2001 was ordered held without bail Monday on charges that he fatally shot his father, whose body was found Friday morning inside the West Roxbury home he shared with his son.

Mark Tomas Regan, wearing a white jumpsuit, appeared before a judge in West Roxbury District Court on a murder charge. A not-guilty plea was entered on his behalf.

Prosecutors allege that he shot and killed his father, Mark Thomas Regan, 66. Police said they found him lying on the floor of a second-floor bedroom with bed sheets twisted around his lower legs.


Those close to the elder Regan had become concerned about him Wednesday after he failed to show up for his job with FedEx Corp., officials said. That day, two people made separate trips to the home on Perham Street that the father and son shared to check on him.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

The visitors spoke with the younger Regan, who allegedly said his father was out with friends, prosecutors said. Later that day, police also went to the home to do a well-being check, but no one came to the door. The elder Regan’s car was parked outside the house, prosecutors said.

Police returned to the home Friday at about 8:51 a.m. to do another well-being check at the request of the same two people who were looking for the elder Regan two days earlier.

After getting no response, officers entered the home through an unlocked window on the second floor. That’s when they found the elder Regan, who had been shot several times, said Assistant District Attorney David Fredette.

Shortly after discovering Regan’s body, officers said, his son appeared at an attic door and told officers he was hiding there because he was scared, a police report said. He was taken in for questioning and charged late Friday with murder, authorities said.


A handgun found under a floorboard in the attic was consistent with the weapon that killed the elder Regan, Fredette said.

James Greenberg, a lawyer for the younger Regan, said he denies the charges.

“I’m sure he loved his father very much,” Greenberg said. “My heart and prayers go out to the Regan family.”

About a dozen people, some with tears in their eyes, attended Regan’s arraignment. They declined to comment.

Several neighbors said the elder Regan renovated the two-story home where he was found dead and was trying to sell it.


The younger Regan is on probation after serving 2½ years in a county jail on a gun case, prosecutors said. He was arrested Oct. 24, 2009, after he pulled a gun inside The Bar Room, a night spot in the Financial District, according to court records. He was also carrying several bags containing what was believed to be heroin, records show.

The younger Regan had earlier brushes with the law. In May 2001, he was arrested on charges of heroin possession and shoplifting at Filene’s in Downtown Crossing, court records show. In 2003, he was sentenced to up to two years and a day in prison after he pleaded guilty to charges of armed robbery, assault, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon in Quincy, according to court records.

In that case, Regan was among a group of people accused of stabbing a man in front of Quincy City Hall during a robbery attempt, the Patriot Ledger reported.

Laura Crimaldi can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @lauracrimaldi.