Five people are facing charges that they beat a 40-year-old man and five teenagers on an MBTA train earlier this month in South Boston, the Suffolk district attorney’s office said.
Two of the alleged attackers in the March 9 incident on the Red Line train at Broadway station were on probation for earlier serious offenses, prosecutors said. A third defendant was facing charges involving a stabbing in Norfolk County.
Kevin McCarthy, 21, of South Boston, was charged with aggravated assault and battery and assault with a dangerous weapon. Patrick J. Joyce, 24, of Dorchester, was charged with three counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
McCarthy had been convicted of participating in an unprovoked beating of three men in South Boston in May 2011. Prosecutors had asked that he be put in state prison for five years, but the judge in that case denied the request, said Jake Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk district attorney.
Joyce was on probation for motor vehicle homicide in Norfolk County.
Michael Capuzzo, 20, of South Boston, who is facing an assault and battery charge in the train attack, was already facing charges that he stabbed someone in the neck, prosecutors said.
Two other suspects — Michael Davis, 36, of Quincy and Kristine Mullen, 20, of South Boston — were charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
The dangerous weapons in all of the charges were their shod feet, which they used to kick the victims, said the district attorney’s spokeswoman, Renee Nadeau Algarin.
Prosecutors requested that all three defendants be held on $1,000 cash bail.
A judge released McCarthy and Joyce on $500 and $400 bail, respectively, and Davis and Mullen were released on personal recognizance after their arraignments Monday in South Boston District Court.
The suspects, who pleaded not guilty, were ordered not to contact the victims or witnesses and to stay away from all MBTA property, the statement said.
Capuzzo will be arraigned Friday in South Boston District Court.
Transit Police responded to the attack at Broadway Station at about 9 p.m. March 9.
The attack allegedly occurred after the victim became involved in an argument with the attackers, and several teenagers intervened to defend him, said MBTA Transit Police Superintendent in Chief Joseph O’Connor.
Video taken by a passenger showed the victim being shoved against the train doors and then thrown to the floor. The attackers are seen repeatedly kicking and punching him before walking away from the scene, leaving another passenger to pull him into a sitting position.
The victim was taken to Tufts Medical Center with serious injuries.
The five Rhode Island teenagers, whose ages ranged from 14 to 18, were treated at the scene by Boston Emergency Medical Services and did not require hospitalization, the statement said.
Transit Police sought the public’s help in identifying the attackers, and released the video taken by the passenger and images from the station’s surveillance footage, along with the suspects’ physical descriptions, several days after the attack.Globe correspondent Jacqueline Tempera contributed to this report. Catalina Gaitan can be reached at catalina.gaitan@
globe.com. Follow her on Twitter at @catalina_gaitan.