BOSTON — Federal law enforcement officials debated whether to release photos that led to the capture of a suspect in last year’s bombing at the Boston Marathon, an FBI official has told CBS News.
Stephanie Douglas, executive assistant director of the FBI’s National Security Division, said in a ‘‘60 Minutes’’ interview broadcast Sunday night that releasing images of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who has been charged in the bombings that killed three people and injured more than 260, was the right thing to do even though an MIT police officer was killed soon after.
Prosecutors say Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan, killed officer Sean Collier while on the run.
Douglas said law enforcement ‘‘really had no choice’’ but to release the photos.
‘‘Believe me, the death of Sean Collier is not lost on the FBI,’’ she said. ‘‘But I think at the end of the day, given the facts as we knew them at the time, we made the best decision.’’
You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than 25¢ a week