Improper cigarette disposal blamed in fatal Fitchburg fire

A cigarette sparked the fire that killed two people and seriously injured a third last week in Fitchburg, fire officials said Thursday.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said the blaze started when a cigarette was not disposed of properly. The fire ignited the East Street house at about 11:30 p.m. March 30 and raged into the next morning.


Lisa Englehart, 39, and Christopher Brinkley, 22, were asleep on the second floor when the fire started. Firefighters dragged them from the blaze, but they both died.

“One common thing among them has been a lack of working smoke alarms, which can double the chance of surviving a fire,” Coan said.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Frank Huckins Sr., 65, was asleep on the first floor of the home and suffered serious injuries.

Fitchburg Fire Chief Kevin Roy urged citizens to install fire and carbon monoxide alarms.

Officials said there was a delay in calling the Fire Department about the blaze.

Jacqueline Tempera can be reached at jacqueline.tempera
Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
You're reading  1 of 5 free articles.
Get UNLIMITED access for only 99¢ per week Subscribe Now >
You're reading1 of 5 free articles.Keep scrolling to see more articles recomended for you Subscribe now
We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of
Marketing image of