You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Seven rushed to Fall River hospitals following carbon monoxide leak

Residents in a three-family house were evacuated Friday in Fall River. Neighbor Rose Arruda spoke to reporters later.

George Rizer for The Boston Globe

Residents in a three-family house were evacuated Friday in Fall River. Neighbor Rose Arruda spoke to reporters later.

FALL RIVER—Seven residents of a three-family home escaped with only minor health impacts today after a carbon monoxide leak was detected in the home, according to the fire department.

Fall River’s Ladder 2 fire company responded to a call from 205 Ridge St. at about 10:25 a.m. after a carbon monoxide detector in the second-floor apartment sounded, Fire Captain Neil Furtadosaid.

Continue reading below

Furtado said that having a working carbon monoxide detector in the home probably saved their lives. Furtado said a malfunctioning furnace in the basement generated the carbon monoxide.

Seven residents from the first and second floors were exhibiting “flu-like symptoms -- migraine headaches, nausea, abdominal pain,” Furtado said.

Ambulances from Fall River and nearby Tiverton, R.I., took one woman and four children to Saint Anne’s Hospital and another woman and one child to Charlton Memorial Hospital, both in Fall River, he said.

Furtado said all residents were expected to recover.

Jeremy C. Fox can be reached at jeremy.fox@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @jeremycfox.
Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week