A mason working on a chimney in Milford had quite a scare today when the ladder he was standing on twisted and began to fall, causing both the man and his ladder to become tangled in live power lines, officials said.
The man was rescued by Milford firefighters and was uninjured, according to Milford Fire Lieutenant Michael DeTore.
Firefighters were called to the home on 6 Sunnyside Lane after a passerby heard the mason calling for help at about 12:30 p.m. Upon arrival, firefighters discovered the man caught precariously between the rooftop and his ladder, power lines strung around him.
“National Grid [workers] came and disconnected power to the house so we were able to get several ladders up to safely assist him,” DeTore said today in a telephone interview. “He was caught up pretty good, but his life wasn’t hanging by a thread.”
The man was pulled to safety by a pair of firefighters on the house’s rooftop while firefighters on either side of him stabilized his ladder and a National Grid worker kept power lines out of the way.
The mason was brought to safety shortly before 1 p.m., DeTore said.Catalina Gaitan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter at @catalina_gaitan.