Metro
    Next Score View the next score

    Randolph man found dead in apartment

    A Randolph man sealed up his bathroom and set multiple charcoal fires inside his apartment, which might have generated fatal levels of carbon monoxide, authorities said Thursday.

    The body of the man, whose name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin, was discovered inside his apartment in a complex on West Street by a maintenance worker, said the office of Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey.

    “Initial indications suggest that the death does not involve foul play, and neighbors are not in danger of any kind,’’ Morrissey’s office said in a statement.

    Advertisement

    The conditions inside the apartment triggered a hazardous materials response from Randolph firefighters, who spent several hours inside the unit before police were allowed to enter. Officers then discovered that the bathroom where the man’s body was found appeared to have been “sealed and secured from the inside.’’

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Officers also found “multiple charcoal fires in metal containers that had long since burned out,’’ prosecutors said. Burning charcoal indoors can generate fatal levels of carbon monoxide, prosecutors said.

    The state medical examiner’s office is scheduled to perform an autopsy.

    John R. Ellement can be reached at ellement@
    globe.com
    . Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.