Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

One Fund to allocate another $18m

Studies how to distribute funds

One Fund Boston is drafting plans for how to distribute $18 million in new donations to victims of the Boston Marathon bombings, as it considers how best to continue delivering services to attack victims.

The nonprofit group said it plans to give the majority of the latest donations to those who sustained the most severe physical injuries, including victims who had limbs amputated or severed. It may also use the remaining funds to partner with local hospitals and city and state agencies to pay for programs and services that victims need.

Continue reading below

The plans are included in a three-page letter that was posted Monday on the organization’s website.

After collecting nearly $61 million its first 90 days last year, the fund amassed an additional $18 million, including $6 million collected between January and May 7.

“This is an unprecedented amount of support for what was an attack on our community,” said Jim Gallagher, the organization’s president.

Recent donations came from individual donors and from significant corporate contributions, Gallagher said.

The group said it hopes to release a draft of the process it will follow for disbursing the second round of funds soon, with a goal of getting money to victims by the end of July or early August, Gallagher said.

$18m

Quote Icon

Members of the public, along with a council made up of survivors and relatives of victims, will be given a chance to comment on the proposed criteria, he said. The group also expects to hold a town-hall-style meeting to discuss the second disbursement.

One Fund Boston formed a day after the attacks of April 15, 2013, which killed three people and injured more than 260. By July 29, it distributed the initial $61 million collected to more than 230 people hurt and relatives of those killed.

In the last year, the organization has spent money to hire a small staff and cover expenses totaling about $361,000, which One Fund Boston said works out to 0.4 percent of what it has collected.

“We will be here as long as the fund is effective in serving survivors,” Gallagher said.

As the group considers whether to fund programs or services beyond the cash payments it provides, One Fund Boston said it will pay particular attention to concerns from victims about mental health, hearing loss, and tinnitus, which is a noise or ringing in the ears.

In particular, Gallagher said, victims seeking treatment for tinnitus have few resources available and face lengthy waits to be evaluated by doctors.

“If we develop a program, we can open up access,” he said.

The organization is also taking into account services and programs being provided by other agencies so it does not duplicate efforts.

For example, the Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance said it received an $8.3 million grant from the federal government that it is using to pay for counseling, along with services for the deaf and hard of hearing and vocational rehabilitation services.

“We’re working with them as we are with all sorts of partners,” said Liam T. Lowney, executive director of the office for victim assistance. “We’re all working to support the community that was impacted and we don’t want to duplicate efforts.”

Laura Crimaldi can be reached at laura.crimaldi@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @lauracrimaldi.
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com