You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Aaron Hernandez associate pleads not guilty to federal charges

An associate of Aaron Hernandez pleaded not guilty on Tuesday in federal court in Boston to criminal charges that are linked to a June 2013 slaying that the former New England Patriot allegedly committed.

Oscar “Papoo” Hernandez Jr., 23, of Orlando, was ordered held without bail after pleading not guilty to charges of lying to a grand jury, obstruction of justice, and witness tampering. His lawyer, Charles P. McGinty, said during the brief hearing that he may contest bail at a later date. Aaron and Oscar Hernandez are not related.

Continue reading below

According to the indictment handed up against Oscar Hernandez, he allegedly lied to a federal grand jury in Boston in December that was investigating the “transportation of firearms” from Florida to Massachusetts.

The grand jury probe was prompted, in part, by a federal review of three firearms that Massachusetts State Police recovered during an investigation into the murder of Odin L. Lloyd, 27, of Dorchester, which Aaron Hernandez is alleged to have orchestrated.

Lloyd’s bullet-riddled body was found in an industrial yard near Aaron Hernandez’s sprawling North Attleborough home. The former NFL player has pleaded not guilty to murder and weapons charges and is being held without bail.

Two men who prosecutors say were with Aaron Hernandez when Lloyd was murdered, Ernest Wallace, 42, and Carlos Ortiz, 28, are scheduled to be arraigned on murder charges in the high-profile case on Thursday and on May 27, respectively, in Bristol Superior Court in Fall River.

Ortiz and Wallace, both of Bristol, Conn., had previously pleaded not guilty to lesser charges in connection with the slaying. Authorities have not said why they are now being charged with murder.

Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe. Milton J. Valencia can be reached at mvalencia@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @miltonvalencia.
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.