A Dorchester man who shot at a rival in front of a courthouse last year will be sentenced Wednesday, Suffolk County prosecutors said.
Paul Miranda, 23, was convicted Friday by a Suffolk Superior Court jury of armed assault with intent to murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm.
Miranda’s 33-year-old victim, a Dorchester resident, had just entered a car outside Dorchester District Court at about 10 a.m. on Jan.16, 2013, prosecutors said. A man in a red sweatshirt ran up to the car and fired six to eight shots at point-blank range, missing the victim.
Witnesses provided a description of the shooter and the license plate of the black Mercedes he fled in, Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said in a statement. The vehicle was later spotted outside a Bowdoin Street home, and witnesses there told police that a man matching the shooter’s description had gotten out of the car and run inside.
Police obtained records showing the Mercedes was registered to a man who lived at the Bowdoin Street residence. The man was a close acquaintance of Miranda’s who was out of the country and had left Miranda the keys to his car and apartment, prosecutors said.
Upon executing a search warrant for the apartment, police found in Miranda’s bedroom two guns — one of which was matched to the casings at the scene of the shooting — and a red sweatshirt with gun residue and Miranda’s DNA on it.
The victim, with whom Miranda had a prior negative relationship, chose not to identify him, prosecutors said.
“Whether that’s because he didn’t see the man’s face or because he’s adhering to a misguided code of conduct is something we can’t say for sure,” Conley said in a statement.