The US Coast Guard said this morning that debris found in the area where a British yacht disappeared late last week, is not related to that incident.
“During searches at sea, it is not uncommon to find debris or discarded objects,” Coast Guard Captain Anthony Popiel, chief of response in the 1st Coast Guard District, said today in a statement. “Locating smaller items in the ocean is actually an indicator of favorable seas and search conditions.”
As of this morning, search teams had covered about 12,000 square miles of ocean. A volunteer vessel reported objects in the water, but they were not related to the Cheeki Rafiki yacht, Popiel said.
“We take reports of debris very seriously and, at this time, no debris or objects reported during this search correlate to the Cheeki Rafiki,” Popiel said in the statement.
Popiel said the search will continue and all debris will be analyzed.
The 39-foot Cheeki Rafiki capsized late last week, with four experienced offshore sailors aboard: Andrew Bridge, 22; James Male, 23; Paul Goslin, 56; and Steve Warren, 52, said Louise Nicholls, spokeswoman for the Royal Yachting Association.
The men were headed to Britain Thursday night when they reported taking on water from a leak, Nicholls has said. The search began about 12:30 a.m. Friday. It was called off at 5 a.m. Sunday in what the Coast Guard deemed a difficult decision based on its calculation of the men’s chances of survival.
The search resumed Tuesday after a request by the British government.
The search will continue Thursday, according to the statement.