One Fund Boston announced Friday it will make a second round of payments this summer to survivors and families of victims of the Boston Marathon bombings, with those who face lifelong medical costs set to receive the greatest support.
The charity, established in the immediate aftermath of the deadly attacks, currently has nearly $19 million in donations, which it plans to distribute in August.
Most funds will be distributed to survivors who have the most severe physical injuries, the group said.
“The protocol was established to maximize resources to those who would most likely have long-term medical costs associated with their injuries,” the group said in a statement. “This will, we hope, help to offset the significant costs they face as they continue their recoveries.”
In developing the plan, organizers held regular meetings with a group of survivors and family members to better understand the challenges they are facing. They also drew advice from a team of doctors who specialize in the type of physical and psychological injuries sustained during the bombings.
As a result, the fund will establish a medical program to provide care for the “invisible wounds” victims sustained in the bombings, including hearing loss, brain injuries, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
“The effectiveness of direct financial distributions for these injuries is difficult to determine; we believe that addressing these needs through innovative programming will be a better way to facilitate meaningful long-term assistance,” the group said.
The fund will work with area hospitals to provide care and create an advisory board to oversee the program.
Lori van Dam, executive director of the fund, said organizers spoke with survivors and medical specialists to determine how the donations might do the most good.
“We really wanted a comprehensive view of what a person’s full medical experience might be,” she said. “We wanted to understand the long-term costs.”
Payments will be based on the severity of physical injuries. Survivors who suffered extreme injuries to extremities will probably receive a flat sum.
The amounts of the payments depend on how many people apply and the donations on hand, organizers said.
Applications will be sent out June 26 and are due at the end of July. Survivors who feel they do not need the money can opt out. It is expected to be the fund’s last direct payments to survivors. Future donations to the fund would finance medical services “that can help as many survivors as possible.”
The fund will work with the state’s victim assistance office to develop the services.
Last year, the compensation fund distributed nearly $61 million to more than 230 individuals and families. Relatives of those killed in the attacks, as well as survivors who had two limbs amputated or suffered permanent brain damage, each received almost $2.2 million. Fourteen people who lost a limb each received about $1.2 million.
Compensation is not based on financial need.
In the days after the bombings, donations poured in from across the country and beyond, on a scale that far exceeded expectations.
At a March conference on the response to the bombings, Kenneth Feinberg, the fund’s administrator, said the scope of the support “demonstrated the resilience of the city” and was testament to a “collective empathy” for the victims.