You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Red Sox Live

4

3

Final

MBTA operators’ union objects to strict cellphone policy

A bus crash last month left an MBTA bus dangling over the Massachusetts Turnpike in Newton.

Newton Fire Department

A bus crash last month left an MBTA bus dangling over the Massachusetts Turnpike in Newton.

The union that represents MBTA train and bus operators is objecting to state a tough new policy against cellphone possession by operators issued by state officials.

The Boston Carmen’s Union ATU Local 589 says it’s “deeply disturbed” by the new policy, which calls for any train or bus operator found with a cellphone to be suspended for 30 days and recommended for firing.

Continue reading below

The union says in a statement posted on its website that there are times when “alternative communications” are needed on a bus for “everyone’s protection” and the MBTA had offered no solution to that problem.

The new policy turns “bargained policy on its head, determining that all bus and transportation workers are guilty until proven innocent and declaring management judge, jury and executioner without due process,” the statement said.

State transportation officials announced Monday that they were tightening the rules on cellphone possession by operators.

Continue reading it below

The operators have been barred from possessing cellphones since 2009, but the previous punishment was a 10-day suspension and recommendation for firing after two violations. The tougher new punishment for simply possessing a cellphone now matches that for an operator found texting or talking on a cellphone while on duty.

The MBTA announced it was tightening the policy a month after a crash that left an MBTA bus dangling over the Massachusetts Turnpike in Newton. The driver in that case is accused of having a cellphone in her hand before the accident, which injured seven people. She was terminated and has pleaded not guilty to an obstruction of justice charge.

More coverage:

MBTA tightens no-phone policy for drivers

MBTA fires driver who crashed bus in Newton

MBTA driver pleads not guilty in Newton bus crash

MBTA driver’s cellphone at issue in Newton bus accident

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.