Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Man convicted in 2008 rapes of two college students

Marcos Colono, representing himself in a rape trial, delivered opening statements in the trial last week.

Angela Rowlings/Pool

Marcos Colono, representing himself in a rape trial, delivered opening statements in the trial last week.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury on Wednesday convicted a Cambridge man of raping two college students in Boston in 2008, after a bizarre trial in which the man represented himself, questioned his victims, and then called the jurors “robots” after they found him guilty.

Marcos Colono, 36, faces life in prison after a jury of six men and six women convicted him of bursting into the Commonwealth Avenue apartment of two young women and raping them repeatedly at knifepoint before tying them up, stealing their identification cards and one of their cellphones, and threatening them.

Continue reading below

“We just purely reacted to the facts,” juror Bill Bentley, 32, said as he left the courthouse. “I didn’t feel like the defendant brought a lot to light that contradicted them.”

Colono is already serving 74 to 85 years in prison for raping an 11-year-old boy and nearly decapitating the boy’s father in their Cambridge apartment in 2010 — a crime he claimed he was “wrongfully convicted” of during his current trial.

“You’re all robots,” he told the jury Wednesday after the guilty verdicts. Judge Janet Sanders told him to sit down.

Continue reading it below

“This vicious attack was a nightmare for the victims and their loved ones,” Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley said in a statement. “Their strength leading up to trial and their testimony before the jury have made Boston a safer place. We could not have achieved this result without their courage.”

The two women were not in court Wednesday. Assistant District Attorney Holly Broadbent told Sanders they wanted to be present for sentencing, which is scheduled for July 10.

The 2008 rapes went unsolved until after the 2010 attack, when investigators found Colono’s fingerprints and matched DNA found at that scene to DNA from the 2008 rape kits.

Colono, who has fired four attorneys, argued he was wrongly convicted in the 2010 attack, and that the fingerprint and DNA evidence found at both the 2010 and 2008 attacks was faulty.

Colono was convicted of four counts of aggravated rape, two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, and single counts of home invasion and armed burglary.

Martin Finucane of the Globe Staff contributed to this report. Evan Allen can be reached at evan.allen@globe.com.
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com