Relive the excitement of the Patriots’ path to their fourth Super Bowl Championship with “Pumped,” a special commemorative book from The Boston Globe.

Eight people displaced by three-alarm fire in Milton

The improper disposal of a cigarette sparked a three-alarm fire in Milton early this morning that dameged a three-family apartment building, fire officials said.

The Milton Fire Department responded to the scene at 54 Central Ave. about 2:47 a.m., said Deputy Fire Chief Kevin Finerty. The blaze was under control by 6 a.m.

Continue reading below

No one was injured in the fire, Finerty said. Residents escaped the building in time after being alerted by smoke alarms, said Jennifer Mieth, a spokeswoman for the state fire marshal’s office.

The third-floor apartment sustained “heavy damage,” while the other two floors were only burned on the back porches, he said.

Investigators from the State Police and Milton Fire Department determined the cause of the blaze to be improper disposal of a cigarette on the first-floor back porch, said Mieth.

Finerty said he believed eight people were displaced by the fire.

Kiera Blessing can be reached at kiera.blessing@globe.com.
Loading comments...

Wake up with today's top stories.

Want each day's news headlines delivered fresh to your
inbox every morning? Just connect with us
in one of the following ways:
or
Please enter a valid email
BostonGlobe.com will never post anything without asking. Privacy Policy
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com