A 24-year-old man was shot to death in the front yard of a home on Claybourne Street on Sunday, one of six people hit by gunfire in separate cases during a violent holiday weekend in Boston.
The other five people shot survived, according to Boston police.
“We’re gonna miss him,” said Erica Pereira, 32, who identified the victim of the fatal shooting as her brother, Shongi Fernandes. Authorities have not yet identified the man.
On Monday morning, friends and family had begun to gather, weeping and talking, outside of the spot on Claybourne Street where Fernandes was shot at 9:21 p.m. Sunday.
“I want for them to do justice to find out who killed him,” said Pereira. “That’s the only thing I can say.”
One man who declined to give his name but said he was outside when the shooting happened said he heard four gunshots coming from the back of 52 Claybourne St.
Fernandes was inside the small, fenced-in yard when he was hit, the man said.
Boston police said in a statement that the victim was shot multiple times and pronounced dead at the scene.
“He’s a good kid, man, he’s a good, good kid,” said the man, who added that Fernandes was working and going to school. “He changed his life around.”
On Sunday, family and friends lit candles where he fell. Several women walked back and forth crying.
“Nicest guy ever,” said Heidy Cardoso, 19, who identified herself as a friend. “He was so friendly. Everyone liked him.”
Family and friends said Fernandes was from Dorchester but was most recently living in Brockton.
He had a son about 5 years old, they said.
One neighbor declined to give her name, but said Fernandes was a good person, who always greeted her with, “Hi, ma’am, how are you?”
For a period of time Monday morning, a police car could be seen parked down the street from the shooting.
Jake Wark, spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley, said the shooting remains under investigation.
Boston police spokeswoman Officer Neva Coakley said no arrests have been made.
Anyone with information to share is asked to contact the police department at 617-343-4470.
As of Aug. 23, the city has seen 35 homicides this year, according to Officer Rachel McGuire, a spokeswoman for Boston police.
As of that date last year, there were 30.
The city had 40 homicides in 2013, she said.
Five other people were shot in three cases between Sunday and Monday, said Coakley.
Three people leaving a cookout were shot at around 5:30 a.m. Sunday on Westville Street in Dorchester.
Two women were taken to Boston Medical Center, and one man was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
None of the injuries was life threatening, Coakley said.
There were no reports of a suspect Sunday night and the shooting remained under investigation, she said.
No further information was immediately available.
At 12:29 a.m. Monday, a man walked into a Boston hospital after being shot at 21 Dorchester Ave., said McGuire.
His injuries were not life threatening.
At 1:06 p.m. Monday, a man was shot at 107 Holmes Ave., said McGuire. His injuries were also not life-threatening, she said.
Police made two arrests in other cases where shots were fired but no one was hit.
On Friday night, police arrested 20-year-old Derek Miranda of Dorchester on gun charges after responding to a call for shots fired in the area of Virginia and Monadnock Streets.
Early Saturday morning, police arrested 18-year-old Tyrone Brimage on gun and resisting-arrest charges after security guards heard gunshots in the area of 70 Worcester St. and chased him down, catching him near 492 Massachusetts Ave.
Information about whether any of the shootings were related was not immediately available Monday.Globe Correspondents Todd Feathers and Kiera Blessing contributed to this report. Evan Allen can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.