Evelyn Johnson, longtime pilot, flying instructor

Associated Press/file 2005
Evelyn “Mama Bird’’ Johnson was estimated to have flown about 5.5 million miles.

MORRISTOWN, Tenn. - Pioneering female pilot and Guinness world record holder Evelyn Bryan Johnson, known as “Mama Bird,’’ died Thursday, according to a funeral home. She was 102.

Ms. Bryan started flying in 1944 and went on to run her own flying service and manage a small-town airport. The Farrar Funeral Home in Jefferson City said the Morristown resident died Thursday.

“I don’t care how many problems you have down on the ground, you forget about them’’ while flying, the bright-eyed and barely 5-foot-tall woman known to her students and colleagues as Mama Bird or Miss Evelyn told the Associated Press in 2005.


Ms. Bryan was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in 2007 after flying for 55 years and spending the equivalent of seven years in the air. She was estimated to have flown about 5.5 million miles, equal to 23 trips to the moon, and never had a crash, despite her share of mechanical troubles in the sky.

Get Today's Headlines in your inbox:
The day's top stories delivered every morning.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

She held the Guinness Book of World Records certificate for most hours in the air for a female pilot. She was also one of the first female helicopter pilots.

Her office at Morristown’s Moore-Murrell Airport, some 45 miles northeast of Knoxville, was filled with awards, citations, and mementoes. At 95, she was still managing the airport she had run since 1953, where she had taught about 3,000 student pilots and certified more than 9,000 pilots for the Federal Aviation Administration.

She taught public school for two years before meeting W.J. Bryan while attending the University of Tennessee in the 1930s, where she earned an English degree. They married and moved to Jefferson City near Morristown to start a dry-cleaning business.

When World War II came, Bryan hoped to learn how to fly in the service. He landed at an air base in Florida in charge of laundry.


“He started in to fly, but ended up washing clothes; I was washing clothes and ended up flying,’’ Ms. Johnson said in 2005.

Her joy became her work. Both Bryan, who died in 1963, and her second husband, Morgan Johnson, who died in 1977, became pilots.