May 26, 1910: Lieutenant George S. Patton Jr. marries Beatrice Ayer at St. John Episcopal Church in Beverly Farms.
1928: The Ayer family purchases Green Meadows, a 250-acre estate on Asbury Street in Hamilton, as a gift for George and Beatrice Patton.
1941-1945: Beatrice Ayer Patton lives at Green Meadows while General Patton fights in World War II.
Dec. 21, 1945: General Patton dies from injuries sustained in a car accident in Germany.
Sept. 30, 1953: Beatrice Patton dies from a heart attack suffered while riding in the Myopia Hunt.
1953-1980: Major General George Smith Patton IV, the couple’s son, and his wife, Joanne Holbrook Patton, periodically live at Green Meadows between military assignments.
1980: Major General Patton retires and the family moves permanently to the estate. Patton establishes Green Meadows Farm, a fruit-and-vegetable operation on 40 acres of the site.
June 27, 2004: Major General Patton dies at home after a long illness.
Dec. 1, 2011: Joanne Holbrook Patton (right) offers the estate as a gift to the Town of Hamilton for historic preservation. Property includes main house dating to 1768; two barns and a horse stable; swimming pool; rose garden; pond; access to the Ipswich River.
May 12, 2012: Annual Town Meeting will vote on whether to accept the gift.
SOURCE: The Patton family; town of Hamilton report on the property.