1837: “Ladies of Salem” meet to discuss ways “to support and educate indigent children who are in a suffering and dangerous condition.”
1839: Children’s Friend Society is officially formed. The Rev. Michael Carlton of Tabernacle Church opens his home on Briggs Street to orphan children.
1844: The ladies receive a bequest, to open a home on Carpenter Street, on the condition “Seaman’s Orphan” be added to its name. Name is changed to “Seaman’s Orphan and Children’s Friend Society.”
1949: Name changed to North Shore Children’s Friend Society.
1963: After a merger, name changed to Children Friend and Family Service Society of the North Shore.
1996: Merger with Children’s Aid Society of Haverhill.
1999: Name changed to Children’s Friend and Family Services.
2012: The agency celebrates its 175th anniversary, with a staff of 150 serving 3,000 youths in Essex County.
Source: Bonnie Hurd Smith research, prepared for Children’s Friends and Family Services.