, Whittier: The 5-foot-4 senior hit for the cycle in a 20-3 win against Greater Lowell, driving in four runs and scoring three times. The next game, she fired an inning of shutout relief to close out a 12-0 win over Greater Lawrence in which sophomore Kayla Riley pitched the first four innings and had a home run and three RBIs.
Emily Messinger , Marblehead: In a 10-5 win over Gloucester, the sophomore catcher hit three home runs, and threw out two baserunners attempting to steal.
Dillon Lavery , Billerica: On the mound against Merrimack Valley Conference foe Dracut, the Indians’ ace improved to a perfect 5-0 with a complete game, nine-strikeout performance.
Angela Papelado , Woburn: The ace hurled three straight shutouts last week against Watertown (12-0 win), Stoneham (8-0 win) and Latin Academy (8-0 win), the finale a no-hitter.
Alex Toomey , Beverly: The 6-foot-1 senior captain delivered a stellar effort against rival Peabody, handing the Tanners their second loss with a complete-game, six-strikeout performance, while also going 3 for 3 with a homer at the plate.
Top 10 baseball teams
(Records through Tuesday with next game listed)
1. St. John’s Prep (14-1); vs. BC High, Mon., 4
2. North Reading (12-0); at Newburyport, Tues., 3:45
3. Danvers (14-1); at Winthrop, Mon., 4
4. Peabody (13-2); at Lynn English, Mon., 7
5. Billerica (12-2); vs. North Andover, Mon., 4
6. Everett (9-1); vs. Medford, Mon., 4
7. Beverly (10-4); vs. Revere, Mon., 4:15
8. Burlington (9-4); at Wakefield, Mon., 3:45
9. Malden (8-4); vs. Northeast Metro, Mon., 3:45
10. Chelmsford (8-4); at Andover, Tues., 4
Top 10 softball teams
1. Danvers (12-0); vs Swampscott, Mon., 4
2. Central Catholic (11-2); vs Methuen, Mon., 3:30
3. Amesbury (11-1); at Georgetown, Mon., 3:45
4. Burlington (12-2); at Wakefield, Mon., 3:45
5. Wakefield (10-4); vs. Burlington, Mon., 3:45
6. Methuen (10-3); at Central Catholic, Mon., 3:30
7. Peabody (9-2); vs. Lynn English, Mon., 4
8. Dracut (9-3); at Billerica, Mon., 3:30
9. Reading (9-4); vs. Belmont, Mon., 3:45
10. Tewksbury (8-5); at Chelmsford, Mon., 3:30
Game of the Week
Peabody baseball at Lynn English, Monday 7
While Peabody rolls along tied atop the Northeast Conference with Danvers (14-1, 11-1 NEC), English is fighting to make the playoffs. With only two weeks left to play, Peabody’s bats will likely see 6-foot-4 Vanderbilt-bound lefty Ben Bowden, one of the state’s top pitchers.
Pat BradleyPat Bradley can be reached at email@example.com.