Along the water’s edge
Chain Bridge: Bridge to Deer Island c. 1810, rebuilt in 1827 after collapse.
Carr’s Ferry: Ferry to Salisbury began in 1630s, ran until late 1700s.
Towle Manufacturing: Silversmiths on Merrimack Street for more than a century.
Down along and the ridge
March’s Hill: A lookout site in the War of 1812, donated to the city in 1954. Popular sledding hill in winter.
Mulliken House: Sea captain Moses Mulliken lived at 46 High St. between trips across the Atlantic Ocean and around Cape Horn.
CUSHING HOUSE AND MUSEUM: 98 High St. mansion built in 1808, now home to Historical Society of Old Newbury.
Footsteps of Heroes: Newburyport in the Civil War
Amos W. Lee: Joined Union Army in 1862, was wounded at Antietam, lived on Prospect Street.
William Lloyd Garrison: The famous abolitionist was born on School Street and learned newspapering there as a young man.
Mourning Lincoln: City Hall was draped in black and a memorial was held at what is now the First Religious Society church on Pleasant Street.