Girls’ Players to Watch
Charlotte Esty, Pingree School: The sophomore striker notched 19 goals and six assists last year in her debut for the Highlanders. The Eastern Independent League All-Star will lead an offense that scored an EIL-high 3.3 goals per game last fall.
Kly Goncalves/Korey O’Rourke, Medford: The offensive tandem netted 21 and 22 points respectively for the Mustangs last fall, en route to a Greater Boston League title. The two juniors also pair up in the 4-by-200 relay for the Medford indoor track team.
Caitlin Lodi, Peabody: The senior goalie allowed just 0.4 goals per game for the Tanners last season, though coach Dennis Desroches says she will be tested this year. The captain keeper has shown poise and experience in net, including her 1-0 shutout over East Longmeadow in the 2011 Division 1 state championship.
Stephanie May, Central Catholic: The two-time Merrimack Valley Conference All-Star outside back anchored a defensive line that gave up the fewest goals per game (0.6) in the MVC. Coach Casey Grange said the 5-foot-7 senior captain “has the best game sense of anyone I’ve ever coached.”
Suzanne Rose, Hamilton-Wenham: The senior captain midfielder was the third-leading scorer last fall for the Generals, who advanced to the North semifinal. Coach Alvi Ibanez calls her the “point guard of the team,” which is also the position she plays for the H-W varsity basketball team. She plays alongside her twin sister, Elizabeth, a left midfielder.
Snow’s Top 10 girls’ teams
(Listed with final 2012 record and next game)
1. Beverly (18-4); at Danvers, Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.
2. Central Catholic (15-1-4); Chelmsford, Tuesday, 5
3. Winchester (14-3-3); at Stoneham, Monday, 3:45
4. Danvers (14-3-2); Beverly, Tuesday, 6:30
5. North Andover (12-6-1); at Haverhill, Tuesday, 3:45
6. Peabody (17-2); at Revere, Thursday, 4
7. Andover (9-5-4); Andover, Wednesday, 7
8. Wilmington (15-4-3); Woburn, Monday, 6
9. Hamilton-Wenham (14-2-2); at Newburyport Monday, 3:45
10. Lowell Catholic (17-3); at St. Clement, Wednesday, 4
Game of the Week
Beverly at Danvers, Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.
The defending Division 1 North champion Panthers will face a Falcon team that could be their toughest competition in the Northeastern Conference. Entering her 10th season as the Beverly head coach, Kristin Simpson has never defeated Danvers.