Last May, voters defeated a proposed $8 million debt exclusion, which, coupled with $1 million in available funds, would have covered the cost of constructing a new public works building on Essex Street. Officials say they have explored alternatives since then and concluded that the project presented a year ago is still the town's best option. Town Administrator Frank Lynam said architects are currently updating plans, and officials will resubmit the proposal and accompanying debt exclusion for town meeting and ballot consideration again this May. Lynam said information on the project and the need for a new facility will be presented to the public prior to the votes. The town has two public works buildings. One dates back to 1907 and the other to the 1970s.
Public works building proposal to return to voters
By Christine Legere| Globe Correspondent February 07, 2013
Read it all, now.
Don't miss any of your favorite stories again. Read the stories that matter to you as much as you want, whenever you want when you subscribe to BostonGlobe.com.
Get full access today for just 99¢