Little Comfort: Whitman was originally known as the “Little Comfort” section of Bridgewater. It became part of Abington in 1712, then stood on its own as South Abington. On May 3, 1886, a vote was taken at a town meeting and the name was changed to Whitman.
Scotland: Southwest part of Bridgewater. Scottish immigrants settled there in the 18th century.