South

Current Hull Public Library opened in 1913 with 5,072 books

The building was originally the summer home of Irish poet, journalist, and rebel John Boyle O’Reilly, who died there in 1890 of an apparent overdose of sleeping medicine.

The body of a British soldier who died in 1775 after a skirmish at Boston Light is buried somewhere on the property.

Advertisement

The “Camperdown Elm” in the front yard probably was planted in the late 1800s, and is a descendant of trees grown on the estate of the Earl of Camperdown in Scotland.

SOURCES: Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners; Hull Public Library

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.