CLEVELAND - A 17-year-old boy has been charged with aggravated murder in the school shooting deaths of three students and the wounding of three others, according to an indictment released Tuesday.
The indictment was returned by a Geauga County grand jury against T.J. Lane in the Feb. 27 attack at Chardon High School, east of Cleveland.
A judge ruled last month that Lane must be tried as an adult. Lane could face life in prison if convicted.
He was indicted on three counts of aggravated murder, two counts of attempted aggravated murder, and one count of felonious assault.
One of Lane’s attorneys, Mark DeVan, said there would be no comment.
Lane’s arraignment was scheduled for Friday in Chardon. Killed in the attacks were Demetrius Hewlin, 16; Russell King Jr., 17; and Daniel Parmertor, 16.
Minors are not eligible for the death penalty in Ohio. Had Lane’s case been routed to juvenile court, the maximum possible penalty would have kept him jailed until he turned 21.
The judge who sent the case to adult felony court rejected a defense request to release Lane on a $500,000 bond and said Lane would pose a risk to flee and a risk to the community.
A psychiatrist who examined Lane testified earlier that Lane sometimes loses touch with reality and suffers from hallucinations, psychosis, and fantasies. But Dr. Phillip Resnick said that none of the symptoms detailed in a mental evaluation would prevent Lane from understanding the case against him and helping in his defense.